View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 03:58 AM   #35
RogerBW

Default Re: Minis Set 3+ Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
I think with the proliferation of 3D printers we probably don't need admin buildings, radar or jam screens. Those type of things can be scratch built from scraps and bits.
As I see it, there are basically two classes of miniatures for OGRE: the very distinctive Winchell Chung shapes of the classic units, and the more generic ones like trucks and bullet trains.

Given that SJGames isn't a full-time minis producer (and presumably doesn't want to become one), it makes sense to me for them to focus on the distinctive stuff (that nobody else can produce anyway), and for the more generic ones to do some combination of recommending manufacturers (where there's something appropriate out there), and recommending (or even releasing free) designs for 3D printing. I think with the combination of 3d print service networks and the spread of printers in makerspaces, libraries, schools, etc., it's getting to the point where most people in North America and Europe can get stuff like this 3D-printed for reasonable money. (I've posted some of my own prints to Canada and the USA, and it was still a reasonable cost to the recipients.)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote