View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 01:43 AM   #7
Skarg

Default Re: Staff, mana, stored ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Here is why I want to do *something* along this line: For RPG scenarios as I see them, I think that limiting a wiz to his ST is a bit too limiting Fine for the one-on-one fights in WIZARD, not so fine if there will be multiple encounters. Some GMs will have patience with multiple iterations of "we sit and rest," others not so much.
If this is the only reasoning, then I'd suggest considering having the staff mana merely restore the wizard's spellcasting fatigue at a rate of one ST per minute or so, but not be usable for casting spells itself.

As written, I think the what staffs actually invite is the tactic of charging them to the max and then using them to the max on hard targets. It will be fun and powerful to think of all the things you can do all in one encounter with all that extra strength. I think that temptation will often out-weigh their use to prudently pace it's consumption throughout a labyrinth run, even though that is likely the most efficient thing to do overall.

So... I think if wizards can use all the spell mana in a combat, they will tend to use it up quickly... and then want to go recharge it for a day or two, somewhat defeating the purpose except for being able to point out that they could have rationed their supply, which maybe they'll learn eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I really don't want to create a new stat for the wizard himself - for one thing, that breaks WIZARD badly.
I don't follow. Isn't the staff mana attribute essentially a new stat?

Also, given it can be jewelry (I can already hear players asking if they can implant it in themselves), it seems effectively pretty close to just saying wizards have a mana stat themselves that recharges more slowly than their physical ST.

One odd thing about having "staff" mana bought with EP is that starting characters have no EP, so 32-point wizards will all be "slightly above average people compared to the population" and likely have the staff spell but not managed to develop any mana ability for it yet. But they will by getting EP... which is from roleplaying? Also it's not yet clear how NPCs / non-adventurer wizards develop staff mana.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote