Thread: TFT Map Maker
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #52
guymc

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

@Shadekeep:

My gosh, friend! I finally got to sit down with this at my Mac. I've bought a lot of mapping software for games, but I have to say this is the easiest to use by far, and has potential to beat them all! I love it!

I am absolutely no programmer, which is why those who can do this are people I greatly admire. But human interfaces are something I am trained in, and I'm a fair graphics guy. I'd really like to contribute to this wonderful effort, so if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask.

Doing a megahex overlay seems to be something on your agenda (and I'm very happy for that because it would then be able to do TFT maps at any scale, including actual play fields). An overlay to make the whole page into megahexes seems to be what everyone is calling for -- but maybe that's not necessary -- or at least not necessary all the time. It might be as useful to let the user lay down megahexes wherever they are wanted.

Would there be a way to get it set up like any other tool (like the half-hex, etc. tools), with a click in a hex outlining all the surrounding hexes to produce a megahex? If that could be done, it would serve. (You can outline a megahex using the doors tool... but that takes awhile!)

Besides the larger scale mapping icons everyone is clamoring for (mountains, hills, grasslands, etc.), labyrinth tools would be great, too -- though you might find it better to put them on a separate overlay so your buttons palette doesn't get too clogged. Platforms, chests, pits, columns etc.

One thing your current interface would be perfect for is putting elevation lines toward individual hexsides like doors work. This could be used in both labyrinth and outdoor maps to indicate a rise in terrain, allowing you to easily know when someone has the "fighting from below" disadvantage.

I'm not sure what I could do to help (Designing some icons for the labyrinth mapping, perhaps?) but I'm sure willing to do so if you need it.

Thank you so much for sharing this great mapping tool with us! Lots of good karma for you!