Thread: Artistic Magic
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Artistic Magic

Here's a model I actually use in my current campaign:

Empowerment is achieved by making: creating a work of art, craft, or skill. Such creation calls for a roll vs. the lesser of two skills: a Path skill at -5, and a creative skill. The base time requirement depends on the conditions for use of the work: 10 minutes for a work that can only be used once; one day for a work that can be used repeatedly, but must be activated or performed each time, usually by the performance of a ritual taking 1 minute; one month for a work that is constantly in effect while worn, held, or ridden. Taking longer than the base time grants bonuses to the roll, up to +5 for taking 30 times as long.

Among selkies, empowerment is based on songs of power (see Path of Song). Roll vs. the lesser of Path of Song-5 and Poetry; for songs that can be used only once, Singing-2 may be substituted for Poetry to sing an improvised song.

A lesser song of power creates a magical effect by acting on a being that can hear the song. The ability is bought as an advantage with the modifiers Must Be Sung and Hearing-Based (-30%).

A greater song of power is a song that is intrinsically powerful. The ability is bought as an advantage with the modifier Must Be Sung (10 minutes) (-10%).

In either case, figure the total point cost for the ability, including modifiers for the form of the song and any other modifiers. The ritual skill has a -1 penalty per 10 points of cost, or fraction thereof. For an improvised song, divide the cost by 5 before figuring the penalty.

For improvised songs only, a variant form of empowerment is available. The singer rolls vs. the Enthrallment skill of Persuade, at the standard penalty for the desired effect. Effects must be those of lesser songs of power. Path of Song is not required.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote