View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
tanksoldier

Default Re: Low Berth Attendant - low status job?

I don’t recall any version of Traveller where that would be a full time job.

You put the passengers under, then leave them until they wake up. I mean, the whole point of low passage is that it’s cheap because few resources are required to sustain the passenger.

I don’t even recall any rules that require more than a single medic regardless of the number of low passengers to get the bonus to the survival roll.

So, probably, it’s simply part of the duties of the normal ship’s medic. Being a medic on a starship is probably the equivalent of being an independent duty corpsman in the modern US Navy, generally considered a prestigious and responsible position.

In a ship with a large number of berths if there was somebody monitoring full time it would more likely be a technician of some kind not medical personnel... but there are no rules for berth failure during transit, only for problems when waking up.

Now, being an actual doctor such as they might have on a larger liner.... that might be fairly far down the physician prestige list, but attending to the low berths passengers would be just one part of the job and since there would likely be additional medics on such a ship probably not something the doctor himself handled directly.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote