View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #265
JLV

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Note that Dragons was my gateway to a "full TFT"...
I had played melee, but couldn't find wizard, nor ITL. I got AM, AW, and the 1981 FMC because I found Dragons of Underearth, and saw it as an RPG

You're angry that it covered the same material - but for me, it was the gateway to the rest of the game, and the only RPG rules chunk I had access to.
See, I found TFT in fall of 1983, courtesy of a friend, and then went looking. The Book Cache (Anchorage, AK) had Melee, Dragons, and several solos; later they got wizard. But none of the "full sized books" - for those, I had to make my way (3 busses) to Spenard Hobby, but first I had to know they existed.

I didn't find ITL until about Spring 1987.
Well, not angry. Just disappointed! But yeah, circumstances DO make a difference. I was fortunate enough to have a couple of good hobby stores close by, back in those days (in El Paso, Texas), and got them all as they came out (mostly because I'd stumbled across Ogre and Stellar Conquest at one of them and thus learned about both Metagaming -- who did have some excellent games -- and microgames all at the same time!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote