View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #255
JLV

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
I, also, am in the "No GURPSification" camp. Let T&T be what it always has been...

As for DoU and CoU - it was pretty clearly Howard trying to cut Steve out of the loop... but DoU also was a fully playable TFT-light. Since Steve cannot do DoU per se, a direct reprint is out - but he can definitely take a cue from it and make a "cut down TFT starter" with a $30 or less start point... pogs, rather than standups or minis, and a subset of the full rules, with a decent mini-campaign included, both a tactical and an RP.

It's a strategy that has worked rather well for FFG, Paizo, and for WotC recently, and TSR in the past (BX, BECMI, B/Cyclopedia/WotI); it would have worked well if Mr. Thompson hadn't given up on the gaming industry and/or gone broke about the time Dragons was heading out the door.
I DO NOT want to "dis" your idea here. But I have to say, from my personal perspective, putting out a TFT-lite is like serving a hotdog bun and telling the customer; "now imagine there's some meat in there..." Honestly, I loved Lords of Underearth, but considered Dragons, as published, pretty much a rip-off -- I was basically paying again for a worse version of a game I already owned. And I don't think my opinion would have changed had I bought them in reverse order. The extra counters and maps suitable for TFT were nice, though...

TFT is already pretty light, and if he does indeed go with Melee and Wizard separately first, followed by full-up TFT, then you already HAVE your lite version. It's one of the things that made TFT so easy to learn in the first place -- it was modular, and you could tackle physical combat, then magical combat, and then tie it all together with a nice framework. Putting it another way, TFT is already about as "lite" as I want to go...

HOWEVER -- that is only my PERSONAL opinion and is in no way a reflection on the quality or utility of your concept to others! I wouldn't buy a "lite" version, but that's probably just me.

Last edited by JLV; 01-10-2018 at 02:38 AM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote