View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #196
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

The armor I wore in the SCA was heavy leather. I found chain let alone plate, tooo heavy. I am 5 feet 8, average to light build, and back then I was in good condition but probably never more than average strength.

I wore leather body armor that was light and well fitted enough that I could run, jump, and do a handstand. Even did it in my helm once, on a dare, though the helm was heavy metal and really messed with my balance. So that armor, at least, was not destroying my DX completely.

Point is, I owned a chain shirt but did not fight in it - too heavy, and all the blows striking me were crushing anyway so something solid was better protection. Plate would have protected against those blows but was too heavy even to be considered. Thinking back on the few who wore plate, they were either big, or built like a Tolkien dwarf, or, in one case, just a little taller than average but in superb training.

I can absolutely see the argument in favor of extra DX (and MA!) penalties for a weak fighter in heavy armor. I have added it to my list of things to think seriously about.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote