View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #249
DeDiceManCometh

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
So I respectfully dissent. I think TFT can easily handle other genres and have had considerable fun doing exactly that. There’s a lot to be said for a game that allows you to create a character in a couple of minutes, contains plenty of detail and that has an engaging, simple and fast moving combat system. Those qualities are useful for any genre...except maybe sparkly, angst-ridden vampire genres (excuse me, “vampyre genres”).
I don't think the argument is that TFT couldn't be expanded to a generic system. The argument is: Why would SJG position a second product directly against an already existing one (generic RPG vs. generic RPG)? As is, they already have to carefully consider how to position TFT vs. Dungeon Fantasy (GURPS subset) -- nevermind the entire GURPS system!

If I were the one to make the call, I'd say that Dungeon Fantasy is -- as a GURPs related product -- for GMs that like to build and tinker and write their own backstories. Conversely, I'd say TFT should be for those who want more of the creative work done for them in advance. Think of how Chaosium handles CoC. Very specific. Lots of prewritten campaigns/one-shots. Of course, Chaosium has the advantage of Lovecraft, it's true. But... SJG has Hite/Fogio/Kostikyan (or can get them). It's a different kind of writing, and while some of this kind of creative output has been done by SJG in the past, I'm quite comfortable saying it hasn't been the company's forte (and it didn't need to be).

There is reason for optimism, however; there are a lot of areas in game design/manufacture that, though originally not part of the company's model, are now. Great companies are great because they adapt.