View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 AM   #5
RedMattis

Default Re: GURPS as an MMO Engine

I've been thinking of trying to convince my game design/graphic/programming/audio student friends to attempt designing a GURPS game, not a MMO though.

I posted some ideas here.

Basic idea is to create a game with a game with a program similar in concept to the Warcraft III Map Editor well integrated.
The system would of course use GURPS style character creation, and look kinda similar to Fallout 1 & 2 when it comes to that.

Aside of that? Top down perspective, fully destructible environments (though perhaps not beautifully so in the beginning*), and support for most GURPS powers.

Examples of GURPS abilities that would be possible would be. Appearance/Charisma/Voice, Permeation, Insubstantiality, Super Jumping, Flight, Alternate Form/Morph, as well as most if not all attack/defence and passive abilities. Examples of unlikely or impossible powers would be Control/Create and Contacts/Patron at character creation.

Do an image search for Silent Storm and Freedom Force to get an idea of how it would look.

Most likely we would first create GURPS Modern, and then GURPS medieval. Super Powers comes after that.

*Smoke+Vanish and a suitable sound effect for most objects to begin with.

- - - - -
The most difficult thing would probably be to get Steve Jackson Games approval and generally work out the deal.
- It would be great if we could get an approval for something like a non-profit game, and work out a deal for a game for sale if we are all (SJGames and Us) liking how it is going.

PS. If possible I'd like to hear whether getting approval for this kind of thing would be at all possible.