Thread: Fnordcon AARs?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #6
larsdangly

Default Re: Fnordcon AARs?

Sounds like the discussion of adventures had what I would say is a close call but a good outcome! Personally, I can't think of any single thing that could tank the quality of the excellent TFT product line ... with the possible exception of turning to 'adventure path' style adventures. Solo's have to be fairly linear and pre-programmed; that is just what you sign up for with that format. But everything else should stick with the current model of supporting sandbox style play with whatever kind of approach best suits your group.

I guess a sufficiently small adventure is in its own way a 'railroad' because it presents just a few events or scenes. But my hope is anything longer than this stays as a few hooks, some creative NPCs, places and things, and the rest is up to you.

Finally, I would say they've proven they can really deliver the goods with small adventures and setting books, and they should just continue to do what works in those departments, focusing on keeping the details of the content creative and fresh. But the third sort of thing they might do - longer-format labyrinths (or similarly grand adventure locations) has yet to be tried. I have a lot of things like this in my own campaign notes, but I don't have the time and bandwidth to organize that stuff into publication ready materials.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote