View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 04:10 AM   #52
Icelander

Default Re: [RPM] Gem Lore, Lapidaries and Precious Stones as Traditional Trappings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Ivory isn't enamel, though. It isn't even tooth enamel, and tooth enamel isn't even a little bit the same as the enamel used in jewellery (which is a kind of glass or glaze).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I meant to use the ivory in place of the white enamel; I assumed they would be visually similar enough that you could replace one with the other, and it gave an excuse to boost the worth of her rosary while keeping within theme. It sounds like Icelander has already decided on the design and functionality of that, however. Reading the behind-the-scenes mechanics for the vignette from the other thread was interesting, however.
By the specific rules of my campaign, there is not only a strong correlation between the intangible factors that cause humans to value certain ornamental objects much more highly than others and their ability to contain magical energy, but also, once-living materials are generally more in tune with the paranormal.

So expensive ivory jewelry or other ornaments would probably be excellent ways to store magical energy, as well as being excellent symbolic representations of death and loss, among other things. Of course, ivory from extinct animals would be even more potent, if it was available.

Isn't ivory subject to strict customs control, though, and importation and export of it forbidden in many countries?