Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
My best wishes for you.
Remember electricity fixes everything.
Thanks. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
On the statting if players can use it

A. I figure this being GURPS, anything can be statted, only the cost is in doubht.
B. NPCs don't need points, so I don't care about cost!
C. Since it can be statted, if the PCs ever want it, then and only then need it be statted!

A good example of this was actually from Starslayer, he came up with a monster that he just slapped down 400 HP or so on as a wriggling mass of unworldly tentacles when it was fighting a meleeist PC. When a player wanted to use a similar build, they discussed it and decided to use Diffuse instead to get the same effect of 'can take a bunch of discrete hits to hack it up'. So thus, the DM had an idea that worked fine as a monster, and later, when a player wanted to use it as a PC, got refined into a good PC workable idea because well, this be GURPS.

That said, my personal thoughts on statting definitely run to 'if it is statted, it should be PC usable or workable towards that end!', the old D6 Star Wars game love love loved putting 'not available for sale' prices on just about everything, and I was always NOOO! If you put stats on something put a price so people can buy it!

On PC vs DM spell creation I am just about the opposite of you I expect! I am a very firm believer in 'if the player wants to be a caster/whatever, it is upon them to deal with being it!', so, while in the case of RPM I am perfectly willing to help the player stat out spells and things and provide my advice and such, its because I'm someone that likes RPM, not because I'm the DM. If its a spell system I don't know very well (say Path/Book or Realm), its all on the player, I smile and nod and roll dice when they tell me and they handle it all. I am more than willing to help out if there new and don't know it, or to just help out as a peer and such, but they need to make a honest effort at it. I have actually told one player after about 2 years of playing Mages in GURPS without learning GURPS Magic and relying on me to look up all the spells etc either they needed to learn it or stop playing mages (this was Pre RPM!). Note - I don't try to be harsh about it or expect perfection, I'm far from a RPM Genius myself! I just ask that people try.

I actually handle the Ally advantage the same way!

On Parsing and Magic Magic vs RPM Magic.
I was more saying that I am perfectly cool with Magic Magic being used alongside RPM Magic. If a Magic Magic Flame Jet or Puissance is good enough theres no need to use RPM for it, it flows nicely and smoothly together. I have seen much hassle result from people trying to reinvent wheels into RPM, especially for DMing, and I figure if you want to have a Mage cast Magic spells, just have them cast Magic spells, and if you want a Puissance +1 sword in the loot pile, have it be there. RPM may be new, shiny and awesome, but when you have a nail an Old Skool Hammer can be just as good as a new one

RPM In Game - Yeah, I understand why you don't post much stuff there, no worries! However, I think the idea behind the thread could be useful for you to potentially. It seems (to me at least) so much of discussion seems to be in an infinite featureless plain devoid of context. It is thus cool to actually see 'Here is what Jaina the Mageling cast, heres why, and heres what happened'. Not in any elaborate detail or such, just to give an idea of how RPM can actually happen!
I actually had similar issues when I switched a campaign from standard spell magic over to RPM...so much so that I converted the whole damn book and told my players "OKay, RPM rules, but only these spells are allowed" then several months later after one of the players did something she didn't think she could she asked to experiment and I said "Okay, same spells...but you can vary stuff and add stuff." Eventually they got to the point where they used the full RPM system and "rote magic" (as I called spell magic) no longer existed because magic itself fractured and created something new. My players loved it. Ate it out of my hands like candy. It was one of my better moments as a GM.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote