View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #21
LokRobster

Default Re: [AtE] Condition of Highways

One of my favorite things to watch for when driving across the country (mostly the U.S. between Texas and Oregon) are old roads that run near the Interstate Highways but are not used anymore.

They are usually covered with dirt and grown-over with grass (or weeds or sagebrush) and blend in with the terrain. You have to watch carefully, and see the most telling signs where the old Road used to cross a ditch or stream; the ruins of bridges or the gravel "build-up" of the road base often pop from the rest of the natural surroundings.

The roads like this that I've seen are probably often 40-60 years since use, I figure they stopped being driven on as soon as the main highway in the area was completed.

I think most ArE highways will be flatter than the terrain they're in, but covered with soil and plants. It'll be like travelling off-road but with less hazards...

If the road is travelled a lot, it will stay looking like a road, but lots of potholes and cracks since no one is likely doing maintenance.