Thread: GURPS M:tA
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
lugaid

Default Re: GURPS M:tA

That is, of course, a good point. I wonder, though, if the magic systems are not well-balanced against each other, how can they be well-balanced against the other systems in the game? It seems to me that balancing the costs of, say, the standard GURPS Magic system against the costs of learning Martial Arts, and then balancing the costs of Psionic Powers in the same way would lead to a relative balance between GURPS Magic and Psionic Powers.

Also, there is the added note that, so long as there is ambiguity in the system, then there is also the potential for a particular player to learn how best to use a particular system in a way that balances it against the other players and GM. That is, it seems to me that "balance" happens more from learning to use the system creatively and discovering its particular niche, if you will, and this is more important than precisely balancing the mechanical numbers. But this is all "old school" vs. "new school" theorizing, and probably not very relevant here.

Edited to add: The point about GM workload is a strong one. That would require more thought, but presuming that the GM were willing to take it on…

Last edited by lugaid; 02-16-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: forgot to add a thought
lugaid is online now   Reply With Quote