View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #10
Gnomasz

Default Re: Elemental Creation Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
Do you think this should still be accompanied by something to stop heat from forcing HT rolls and fatigue loss?
Okay, as this thread is already more about game design and how to apply GURPS to it, than about GURPS RAW;
I think it absolutely depends on the campaign. Sometimes it's just a Rules Exemption perk and it only helps you once during a 2-years long game. Sometimes every other session is in the middle of a volcano and the grand finale is in Pompeii.

If you're building the world for your group, and you intend the magma swimming to be just a flavor thing that doesn't really come up in a campaign, you shouldn't charge your players much for those immunities, they might feel like you forced them to waste points. If, however, it's supposed to be a rather open world for many different adventures, and where an adventuring party of fire-wielding salamanders might wreck havoc in an area, leaving completely unscathed thanks to their tolerance: yeah, the race should pay a lot for DR, being accustomed to the temperature and the low oxygen in a fire.

That being said, the fatigue loss due to heat is a metabolic hazard and Resistant works well for it. Being a specific environmental syndrome, it's Rare. So Immunity is just 5 points.

DR should cost more if you want salamanders to be resistant to fireballs. If you're concerned with template cost balance, you can give other races other supernatural abilities. Also, may I suggest Night Blindness disadvantage for the salamanders? When you live in a source of light, you might not be well accustomed to darkness.

You could also find this thread helpful, especially post #13.