View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #168
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
The Spinward Marches always reminded me of the Great Game, with the IISS being like the Indian Political Service and the Zho filling the place of the Russians.

I don't see the USA as a model of the Imperium as such, but I think there would be spill over and some aspects do look American. I would want to play that down because we already have a Yanks In Space in the Terran Confederation, and because it is used to often in TV Space Opera. Nontheless we do have some elements.

The Megacorporations I would picture as being often like the East India Company, especially when they are governing on-planet assets or diplomatizing with local world governments. However they don't directly rule the massive proportion of the Imperium as compared to the Companies portion of the British Empire.

I see the Terran Confederation as being more like the United Nations in Space than the United States in Space. North Americans certainly played a significant role in the TC, but so did the Chinese, Brazilians, Indians, Arab nations, South Africans, Argentines, etc.

YMMV
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote