View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
finn

Default Re: [Dungeons][DM only]My first experience in DFRPG/"I smell a Rat"

Stormcrow, I agree with everything you say. However, in this adventure, the issue is not one or two features, it's like three quarters of the whole adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
Our regular gaming group is losing two players for a month, and we're going to run DFRPG instead of our normal GURPS games for the month, so I've been gearing up to GM that in November. I too find there to be a legitimate reason for players to shrug their shoulders and be done after the first room. Even though our group is unlikely to do so.
My adventurers had no problem entering the sewer, but the problem was the time it took to find the secret door to the next set or rooms. They were looking for more rats to kill, not a secret door that the rats obviously don't use!

I might just add metal bars to the sewer so the PCs won't wander away too far. I could also put wooden boards in the tunnel, that Merle used to avoid stepping into the sewer. That would encourage the PCs to look near the tunnel.

Quote:
Making the dirt pile in the corner into something other than a dirt pile, or even removing it completely seems like a good way to deal with an incurious party.Another option having Lee track them down and demand they finish the job, since the root problem hasn't been solved and on the second trip, have the pile excavated already by a large group of rats. Of course, then you've got another hidden door that might be missed, leaving them to wander the sewers aimlessly.
My players have suggested that the dirt pile might be a good place to hint at hidden evil, like idols of evil gods and such. This could also lead to Lee requesting the PCs to find out what her uncle was up to.

Quote:
For my game, I'm going to besiege the city with a group of crusaders responding to reports of a great evil in the city, and threatening to put it to the torch if the problem isn't remedied. Probably I'm not going to need to tug that string, our group being what it is, but, if necessary, I'll use that to push them to explore more deeply.
That's nice. I think it will be good to add some hints for the great evil scheme.

Last edited by finn; 10-08-2017 at 08:48 PM.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote