View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #8
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: Conditional Injury with Knowing Your Own Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I've been fiddling with a version where you start at +0 damage and RT 4, and each +1 ST is worth +1/3 to each (round to nearest). Instead of rolling damage and converting to wound potential, you just use the damage as wound potential directly. Roll a d6 and give -1 on a 1-2, +1 on a 5-6. Swing is worth +1 damage.

That's the bulk of it, but there's more detail (including how armor works) in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The fundamental difficulty with logarithmic damage is that addition and subtraction (i.e. DR and barrier penetration) involves either advanced math or table lookup. If we ignore that problem, you can actually make KYoS work really easily with conditional injury.

First, decide on the scaling you want for damage. There are distinct benefits to either +20ST=x10 damage and +30ST=x10 damage. That just defines a scaling factor. I will say the math is less annoying at +30 = x10, so I'll continue from there.

RT = ST/5 + 2
Thrust Damage: make a ST roll. If you succeed, the WP of your attack is equal to 1/5 your MoS. If you fail, it's -2, or nothing if you fail by more than 10. Note that this will give a range of values. For Swing damage, add +5 to ST. If you have a damage bonus, +1 per die is equal to +3 ST. For weapons with flat adds, that gets into the addition and subtraction situation. For weapons with flat damage, look up their average damage on the WP table, and give them an effective ST of WP*5+10 (for intermediate values, feel free to tweak up or down).

If you aren't dealing with armor, you're done; just plug the WP and RP above into the rest of the rules.

Now, for the addition and subtraction part. This, unfortunately, involves table lookup, but it's the same table as before. You need to start by converting WP to linear damage. To do this, first, when making the WP roll (above) keep track of any leftover (so if you succeed by 2, that's still WP 0, but you have 2 leftover). Your linear damage is equal to the minimum amount given for that WP, plus 10% per point of leftover (drop all fractions). Apply all flat adds and penalties, look up the result on the WP table, and that's your final WP.

You may find it easier to change the WP table so the minimum damage matches the range/speed table -- i.e.
  1. HP 1: WT/RT -2
  2. HP 2: WT/RT 0
  3. HP 3-4: WT/RT 1
  4. HP 5-6: WT/RT 2
  5. HP 7-9: WT/RT 3
  6. HP 10-14: WT/RT 4

You might notice that RT has pretty low resolution on ST. If you're willing to have a larger table, you can adjust the table from +6 = x10 to +30 = x10. In that case, RT=ST+10, WP=MoS, fixed damage weapon effective ST = (average damage WP + 10), and severity is (WP-RT)/5 (apply all severity modifiers after division).
💡 For anyone who can't see it, that's supposed to be a light bulb.

I think I get it now. By Anthony's and RyanW's powers combined, I think I have a better grasp on this.

After reading Anthony's comment (and thank you for taking the time to read up on the stuff), I thought, "Well, wouldn't it be ideal to scale it the same as lifting power?" (i.e., +10 is Χ10). To be fair, I still haven't answered that question for myself. Is is ideal? Necessary? More or less realistic? I personally don't know enough to know. Should damage scale with lifting power? That's outside of my expertise.

But, instead of just saying the same thing over and over, I tried to model that +10 = Χ10. So, RT = ST / 3 + 3.33. It quickly dawned on me as to why "ST/3" seemed so familiar—it was RyanW's thread and above post.

In that case, after changing the table to match the Size and Speed/Range Table with rounded values (per RyanW), it should be...
  • ST/HP 1: WP/RT -2
  • ST/HP 2: WP/RT 0
  • ST/HP 3–4: WP/RT 1
  • ST/HP 5–7: WP/RT 2
  • ST/HP 8–10: WP/RT 3
  • ST/HP 11–13: WP/RT 4
  • ST/HP 14–16: WP/RT 5
  • ST/HP 17–19: WP/RT 6
  • ST/HP 20–22: WP/RT 7

Or, after matching with minimum values (per Anthony), it should be...
  • ST/HP 1: WP/RT -2
  • ST/HP 2: WP/RT 0
  • ST/HP 3–5: WP/RT 1
  • ST/HP 6–8: WP/RT 2
  • ST/HP 9–11: WP/RT 3
  • ST/HP 12–14: WP/RT 4
  • ST/HP 15–17: WP/RT 5
  • ST/HP 18–20: WP/RT 6
  • ST/HP 21–23: WP/RT 7

The numbers are a bit trickier, but it slightly increases the resolution. I'm okay with the lumpy cost progression because it makes me think of Basic Speed, and I have no problem with that. You could buy/sell HP or Striking ST to move things up or down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
For Swing damage, add +5 to ST. If you have a damage bonus, +1 per die is equal to +3 ST. For weapons with flat adds, that gets into the addition and subtraction situation. For weapons with flat damage, look up their average damage on the WP table, and give them an effective ST of WP*5+10 (for intermediate values, feel free to tweak up or down).

Now, for the addition and subtraction part. This, unfortunately, involves table lookup, but it's the same table as before. You need to start by converting WP to linear damage. To do this, first, when making the WP roll (above) keep track of any leftover (so if you succeed by 2, that's still WP 0, but you have 2 leftover). Your linear damage is equal to the minimum amount given for that WP, plus 10% per point of leftover (drop all fractions). Apply all flat adds and penalties, look up the result on the WP table, and that's your final WP.
This is what I'm still confused about, especially the parts in bold. Do all of those numbers remain the same with the Χ10 is +10 scale? Also, what is the average damage of a weapon? The average damage when being wielded by someone with quadratic ST 10? What does the effective ST do? If weapons can be given an effective ST, can't armor get an effective -ST to avoid the table lookup and conversion? I really don't know.

So, I think this means WP = MoS / 3, fixed damage weapon effective ST = average damage WP / 3 + 10, and severity is (WP - RT) / 3. Right? I'm still not sure about the rest.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote