View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Otaku

Default Re: Unarmed Parry Is Unarmed Block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Long story short, what unarmed martial arts would call a block is a Parry in GURPS terms. Depending on the exact art, a parry (in the martial art terms) is generally a more offensive action, and might be an Aggressive Parry, a Grabbing Parry, or a Riposte (in GURPS terms).

Blocking as in holding your hands in front of your face so your arms get hit instead of your head doesn't really seem to be covered by GURPS, but then, no one really does that in a fight they have any chance of winning. It's the kind of thing that makes a boxing cornerman reach for a towel, for example.
So for the most part, its a matter of "under a different name" plus more advanced rules? I don't currently have a copy of the Basic Set (Campaigns or Characters) handy: I remember some of the above having 3e counterparts but I don't think all of those were in the Combat Chapters (then again, pretty long chapters so maybe I just missed them).
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote