Thread: Limitless drug
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Limitless drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
For those that haven't seen the film (like me), the description of the NZT-48 drug in the Limitless Wiki.
I've watched the movie and the entire TV series, and I think you're over-estimating the effects of NZT-48. It gave a lot of advantages, and it's really powerful, but it doesn't really affect your mental disadvantages (except maybe disabling Laziness) but users often needed to study to really get the best effects from it.

I'd put it at
* Removes Laziness
* IQ +2 (including Will and Perception)
* DX +1
* Compartmentalized Mind 4 (Non-combat only, no separation)
* Eidetic Memory (Photographic)
* Empathy
* Intuition
* Luck
* Modular Abilities (Super Memorization 6, Languages and Mental Skills Only)
* Single-Minded
* Visualization
* Wild Talent (2-3 uses per session)
* Perk: Can use multiple mind compartments to visualize quickly
* Perk: Speed Reading

On the drug, you can read through the entirety of your brother's medical textbooks in a night, teaching yourself enough medicine to diagnose your father's rare condition, but you're still pretty vulnerable to getting punched in the face or surprised by thugs busting down a door. Given a couple of seconds to analyze a situation, you can perform improbable physical feats ( DX +1 and Visualization and Wild Talent give you an effective Acrobatics-12 with Luck to help with any bad die rolls) but you're generally limited by your physical abilities.

A dose normally lasts for 12 hours, and you're at -1 IQ and -5 FP for 12 hours afterwards (unless you take a fresh dose). Long term use causes schizophrenia and brain cancer. You can take up to HT doses safely; after that, roll HT on each subsequent dose or get Terminally Ill (death in a year). Subsequent failures on the HT check give you Split Personality and other mental disadvantages of the GM's choice.

Habitual users of NZT are highly motivated to find a cure for the fatal side-effects and will generally manage to do so if given time and access to enough doses of the drug.