View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
Maz

Default Re: Fluid Consumption Rules

I feel like the sizes of potions given in DF are already pretty big. Roughly 250ml. In my D&D games small potions are more like 30ml "shots", but that's a different game where you often have to chuck several potions after a battle.
But I would feel a bit silly having to chuck around dozen litres of potions in huge containers.

If what you are after is a limitation on potions there are many other ways to do it. You could simply say it takes 3 secs to drink a potion instead of one. Or that they are difficult to open. You do not have to explain it using real world physics or logic. It's magical potions.

You can also just state that each person can only contain so much magic and so you can't benefit from new potions before a certain amount of time has passed... or maybe that they have a limites effectiveness (this is especially easy to do with healing potions where you can say they heal 1 HP less per potion until 8 hours has passed of "no potion drinking").

You could also say that a potion requires a certain amount of FP to use. Again using healing potions as an example it could be 1 FP per 1d healing. This is especially useful as a limitation if your using Extra Effort in Combat. I use this in a DF-like sci-fi game where there are super drugs instead of magical potions, but it's the same effect. It works really well.

Last edited by Maz; 08-04-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote