View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #45
El Ravager31

Default Re: How to go about making an Ultra Tech Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
TL12^ Quantum Archery

As with other implicate order interface (IOI) sports, the implanted web aligns the neuro-somatic system directly with the unified field. The 'bow' manifests a section of reality with a defined resiliency. The 'string' is an intercostal membrane joining the bow arc whose length is defined by the conviction the user can apply in the pseudo-dimension (defined by (Willx2+ST)/2). Aiming is an entirely neuro-somatic operation, so remains based on DX.

'Arrows' are extracted from a carried supplied of plasmatter, and remain in an undefined eisen-state twinned to the user's implant web. Their exact capabilities emerge momentarily after launch based on a quick contest with the target's probability defenses, if any.

Edit: Is it weird that I expect pretty much everybody here will be able to make some kind of sense out of that babble?
I like the fact that the arrow's capability only becomes apparent after the contest with probability defense. It makes me think of The Spaceship Heart of Gold's improbability drive.

The arrow just turned that guy into a penguin "at a probability factor of 3 million to 1 against and falling." Sorry, but I love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Seriously though, that is a really cool concept! Think if the shooter had unlucky and was firing one of these arrows (or if the target had unlucky for that matter)... You would never know what might happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Is the bow for "RUle of Cool" or "Realism?"
Actually, the characters are recreations of older edition GURPS characters that my friends had. Several of us (myself included) had moved away for a while, but we are all back for one reason or another. When I mentioned wanting to run a campaign, everyone thought it would be cool to update the "old gang."

That brings us to Luke Deerborne (the character using the bow). The player always envisioned him as a bow hunter and designed him to be a great shot. Add to this the fact that he managed a few well timed critical hits throughout his career, and his bow became known as deadlier than any pistol.

So, to answer the question... It was originally chosen because of the cool factor, but it has since became the character's calling card almost. He does have the Guns skill (pistol), but it is quite a bit lower than his bow skill. I think its like a Bow 21 vs Guns 15 if I can remember correctly.

ETA: As I think about it, there may even be a bigger gap than that. I don't have a copy of his sheet handy.
El Ravager31 is offline   Reply With Quote