View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Celjabba

Default Re: Share Your Game Master Panic Moments

"Hey Jabba, Could you run a demo game for begginers tonight ? "
Sure !
I only started GMing half an year before (but had been playing for 5 years), and I had just bought WEG Star War a couple day before, so I decided it would be good for a beginner game, instead of my usual CoC or RM.
Star war is well know, I can get a tape with the movie music for background, and a simple mission scenario for rebels agents is quickly written ... I sketched down an outpost on a jungle planet, some stormtroopers, a jail, a prisoner, more stormtroopers, and a shuttle conveniently close for escape... more than enough.
I only read the rules twice but who cares... it is Star War for beginners, lets roll and shout.
Except it soon became obvious that
-none of the players were begginers, they just had never visited the place we were playing.
-in fact, 2 of them were Star War GM...
-they were used to and wanted a simulationist kind of play.
I begged for 20' to actually pen down some more notes, and deputized the players to answer any rules calls, and fun was had by all, in fact I still sometimes play with a couple of them 25 years later, but for a while I was in full GM panic mode.... (And I got lucky that the players didn't try to tear down the scenario or engage in a spacebattle but played along ...)

Last edited by Celjabba; 10-18-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote