View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Incantation Magic & Vampiric Attacks - Am I doing this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostrobertsandwich View Post
Vampiric Syphon
Spell Effects: Create Necromancy, Transform Necromancy
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Special
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-1
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
This spell allows the caster to project a ray of necromantic energy (using Innate Attack to Hit) which drains the target and heals the caster on a 1-to-1 basis. The ray does 3d Toxic Damage and has the following statistics: Acc 3, Range 10/100, RoF 1, Rcl 1, and Bulk -2.

Create Necromancy (6) + Toxic 3d, indirect (0*) + Tranform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8)
14 SP

Yeah, that's correct.

Quote:
If the cost of that damage is 0 (i.e. indirect Toxic Damage of 3d), does that mean it doubles to 0? Or should it be noted as a "+100%" enhancement, and thus cost +20 SP, as per 'Enhancements' (DF19, pp21)?
I thought I put something in there about a minimum of 4 SP if less than 4 SP on external attacks - but it's not there.

Quote:
Greater Vampiric Syphon
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-3
This spell allows the caster to project a ray of necromantic energy (using Innate Attack to Hit) which drains the target and heals the caster on a 1-to-1 basis. The ray does 9d Toxic Damage, and has the following statistics: Acc 3, Range 10/100, RoF 1, Rcl 1, and Bulk -2.

Create Necromancy (6) + Toxic 9d, indirect (16*) + Transform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8)
30 SP
Also correct

Quote:
Vampiric Blade
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-1
This spell causes a weapon, weighing no more than 10lbs., to heal its’ wielder 1HP for each point of damage inflicted. The spell lasts 10 seconds, and while active the weapon glows with a dark, unhealthy aura.

Create Necromancy (6) + Damage, Direct Damage (0*) + Transform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8) + Duration, 10 Seconds (1)
15 SP
Quote:
The "Red Blade" spell on pp29 sort of seems to imply that it should add 20 SP if the damage is caused by a carrier weapon, but I'm a bit unsure here.

Hmmmm. That's combining some stuff in an interesting way. Since this isn't really covered I'd say that if you're adding an effect like this to a weapon then you're going to need to figure the maximum damage of the weapon it can affect and then pay that as a Damage effect. My reasoning here is that the weapon is already doing damage so you don't to pay "its" SP. So an example:

Vampiric Blade
Spell Effects: Create Necromancy + Transform Necromancy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Special.
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-2.
Casting Time: 10 Minutes.

This spell causes a weapon, weighing no more than 10 lbs. and doing no more than 4d, to heal its wielder 1HP for each point of damage inflicted. The spell lasts 10 seconds, and while active the weapon glows with a dark, unhealthy aura.

Typical Casting: Create Necromancy (6) + Damage, Direct Damage (12*) + Transform Necromancy (8) + Duration, 10 Seconds (1). 27 SP.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote