View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
lostrobertsandwich

Default Incantation Magic & Vampiric Attacks - Am I doing this right?

I've been tinkering around with some spells using the Incantation Magic, and I'm just wondering if I'm calculating the SP totals correctly.

Vampiric Syphon
Spell Effects: Create Necromancy, Transform Necromancy
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, Special
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-1
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
This spell allows the caster to project a ray of necromantic energy (using Innate Attack to Hit) which drains the target and heals the caster on a 1-to-1 basis. The ray does 3d Toxic Damage and has the following statistics: Acc 3, Range 10/100, RoF 1, Rcl 1, and Bulk -2.

Create Necromancy (6) + Toxic 3d, indirect (0*) + Tranform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8)
14 SP

Greater Vampiric Syphon
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-3
This spell allows the caster to project a ray of necromantic energy (using Innate Attack to Hit) which drains the target and heals the caster on a 1-to-1 basis. The ray does 9d Toxic Damage, and has the following statistics: Acc 3, Range 10/100, RoF 1, Rcl 1, and Bulk -2.

Create Necromancy (6) + Toxic 9d, indirect (16*) + Transform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8)
30 SP

Vampiric Blade
Skill Penalty: Path of Necromancy-1
This spell causes a weapon, weighing no more than 10lbs., to heal its’ wielder 1HP for each point of damage inflicted. The spell lasts 10 seconds, and while active the weapon glows with a dark, unhealthy aura.

Create Necromancy (6) + Damage, Direct Damage (0*) + Transform (heals on 1-to-1 basis) (8) + Duration, 10 Seconds (1)
15 SP

*Damage Tricks, on page 21 notes that vampiric effects which heal the user on a one-to-one basis "require adding an appropriate Transform effect and double the SP required for the Damage effect."

If the cost of that damage is 0 (i.e. indirect Toxic Damage of 3d), does that mean it doubles to 0? Or should it be noted as a "+100%" enhancement, and thus cost +20 SP, as per 'Enhancements' (DF19, pp21)?

The "Red Blade" spell on pp29 sort of seems to imply that it should add 20 SP if the damage is caused by a carrier weapon, but I'm a bit unsure here.

Cheers!
lostrobertsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote