View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 01:13 AM   #92
Captain Joy

Default Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz

#1 PG vs CG: I always have a good idea what my character needs to do to advance to the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm still kind of unsure about this. Isn't it system-dependent? In D&D, I think you have to kill monsters and loot the bodies or something. In GURPS, you have to engage in dramatically interesting actions, which is a lot less specific. In CofC, you have to attempt skill use and succeed, which is under the control of the dice; about all you can do is attempt a lot of skill use, and especially of skills that are around 50%. I can't have as good an idea in some cases as in others.
We want a question that contrasts power gamer tendencies from casual gamer tendencies. Regardless of the system, a power gamer has a plan for making their character more capable. A casual gamer isn’t opposed to improving their character, but it’s not why they play.

I used “next level” terminology hoping it was generic enough that even if the game systems you’re familiar with never use that phrase, you’ll understand the meaning behind it and be able to answer accordingly. If that’s not the case, I should to swap “next level” out for something that’s clear to players of any system.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote