View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
DAT

Default Re: DF Mega-Dungeon Game for a Convention

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I'd do pre-gens, but let people do some rumor-mongering and planning in Town. Skip straight to the dungeon in a "it takes you a day to reach it but the travel is uneventful" kind of way.
The problem I find is most time the rumor gathering and planning can run 1 to 2 hours unless there is a couple focused players. At that point, there isn't much time to actually go into many rooms in the dungeon.

So I was just going to give the PCs a set of rumors, a map, and a partial journal entry that supports their mission (plus some distractions). I would preface it by saying based on the carosing that Abe the Knight did, streetwise the Bob the Thief did, and research Carole the Cleric did, you founf the following ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
If you're doing pre-gens, keep the party simple. Something like Bard, Cleric, Knight, Scout, Swashbuckler-Thief, Wizard, and focus the bard on mind control trickery instead of social skills. Don't worry that the Barbarian or Druid isn't contributing because they're not there.
That is another issue I'm struggling with. What is the right number of options for pre-gen characters to present. On one hand I'd like to show off the variablity of GURPS characters, and make sure each player has a fun character for them. On the other hand I don't want to make and print out 60+ characters.

If I stick to DF 1, there are 11 main professions, and 2 – 3 general customizations for each, which can easily have 30+ different general characters.
Barbarian – savage berserker, primal survivalist, or wilderness guardian
Bard – sneak, sword play, or magic w/ social or mind-control
Cleric – buffs, healing, or supernatural warfare
Druid – beastmasters, elementalist,or green
Holy Warrior – paladin or inquisitor
Knight – chivalrous knight, mercenary soldier, or barbarian
Martial Artist – weaponless, staff, or exotic
Scout – bounty hunter, ranger, or sharpshooter
Swashbuckler – fop or pirate
Thief – burglar, mastermind, or assassin
Wizard – artillery mage, illusionist, or necromancer

If I include DF 3, and add traditional races:
Dwarf
Elf, Half
Elf, High
Elf, Mountain,
Elf, Shadow
Elf, Wood
Gnome
Halfling

The list of profession/customization/race combinations grows a little crazy, even discounting Halfing Barbarians and other less optimal combinations.

If I continue with the idea of starting at the dungeon door, and cut the Bard, Barbarian, and Druid; I can still come up with set of 24 profession/customization/race combinations:
Clerics
– Dwarf (buffs)
– Gnome (healing)
– Human (supernatural warfare)
Holy Warrior
– Human (paladin)
– Dwarf ( inquisitor)
Knight
– Human (chivalrous knight)
– Dwarf (mercenary soldier),
– Human (barbarian)
Martial Artist
– Wood Elf (staff),
– Human (butterfly swords)
Scout
– Human (bounty hunter)
– Wood Elf (ranger)
– Mountain Elf (sharpshooter)
Swashbuckler
– Wood Elf (fop)
– Human (pirate)
Thief
– Halfling (burglar)
– Gnome (burglar)
– Human (assassin)
– Shadow Elf (assassin)
Wizard
– Half-Elf (artillery mage)
– Gnome (illusionist)
– Shadow Elf (necromancer)
– Human (generalist)
– High Elf (generalist)

Thoughts on a smaller sub set. Say 12 characters?
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote