View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #62
Thamior

Default Re: Empathy with low IQ

How can you compare attacks and Empathy is beyond me honestly. You act on a strange assumption that everything can be re-attempted without penalty, when it is clearly not the case. Read Intuition description for example. Reaction Rolls kinda woulda you can but with a growing penalty every time. So it's last chance and won't let you reroll ad infinitum till you get what you want. It just doesn't work like that.
Quote:
Using your rules, just ask them each 5 times
My rules don't include rerolling. I think you should read repeated attempts on page 348 of Basic Set. Also read the description of Detect Lie where it is written:
If you lose, the GM may
lie to you about whether you were lied
to . . . or just say, “You can’t tell.”
Quote:
You want to change failures, such that you can get reliable information from them. If you fail to notice, you shouldn't get information that you will act on. Your changes aren't about making making success more likely, they are making failures useful.
I was pointing at a fact that there is no way to tell if you succeeded with Empathy. While at other types of spotting you get a positive confirmation of your success, with Sensitive - no such thing. Do you understand that difference? And if you don't have confirmation neither from success nor from failure this is huge. It has to be compensated or it's not viable. It is nightmare in gameplay terms for the following reasons:
1.) No real feedback (Should I even explain that this is bad for gameplay?).
2.) Unusable with IQ up to 13 and even with more I wouldn't use it. Even if I had 66% of success. At 80%... Eh, maybe.
3.) Well damn sometimes you are really not sure about something. You can't tell one way or another. How does it fit there? When someone lies to you, you either see through his lies or believe him completely according to your interpretation and the flawed rules. If something bothers your subject you either KNOW it or you are sure that NOTHING bothers him, you can't be unsure. Does it seem a good approximation of reality to you?
4.) If you are Sensitive at IQ 10 with your interpretation how can you conceptually HAVE those bonuses to Detect Lies etc. if you are wrong most of the time. Your logic that these things are divorced from each other is flawed.
Quote:
Your statement amounts to "whoops, you missed with your first attack, guess you can never attack anyone again!"
No, it does not. Why do you keep comparing those things? I already thoroughly explained why it is not correct.

The only way I see it useful as is is trying to stack as many bonuses as you possibly can. But it would be still a crutch and not very interesting and still prone to most of those problems I listed.
Thamior is offline   Reply With Quote