View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #25
DAT

Default Re: DF Mega-Dungeon Game for a Convention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
That's window dressing. Mega dungeon is a campaign style. This is a dungeon. A one-shot even. But, whatever.
I understand what you are saying, but I guess I define a mega-dungeon a little different.

For me, from a player character's perspective, a mega-dungeon is "endless". Bottomless pits, large unknown number of level, etc. There is no way to clear it all, no way to explore it all, no way to find all of its secrets.

For me, from a player character's perspective, a 'regular' dungeon is finite. It can be very large, but you can find its boundaries if you search long enough.

In really, both are finite, but the mega-dungeon doesn't feel finite.

Quote:
If I were doing this, I'd design a dungeon with about 6-8 areas and pack them as full of the most super-duper awesomeness that I possibly could.
The way I'm laying out this con game, is the PCs have a targeted mission, with a time limit, and decent information about where they need to go. So they will only need to go to 8 encounter areas if they follow the direct path in the map they are initially given. But if they decide they want to explore, or go off on a tangent, there is stuff they can find.

Quote:
Looks good, but I would suggest Wood Elf and Half Elf for the Scout.
Wood Elf Scout insteasd of a Mountain Elf Scout, and a Half-Elf Scout instead of a Human Scout. I'm pretty open to either.

Quote:
A quick action scene at the start is a great idea in principal.
Yes, the "James Bond" opening scene is a classic. But how to invoke it in a con game is the challenge.

Quote:
Not at all what I would suggest. I would reccomend using the the PC's for multiple reasons.
I could go either way, so this was one of the reasons I was asking.

Quote:
Not trying to be too harsh, but that's about as bad of an idea as I can imagine.
It isn't harsh, I was asking for opinions from folks, which I appreciate. Better to get feedback now, then after I ruined 4 hours of convention time for 8 people.

Quote:
The PC's should win their fist encounter (especially a "trainer") with no deaths. That's just GM'ing 101.
Not sure about that in all circumstances, but I believe I agree for a con game.

I could probably run a TPK intro with my regular gaming group, and they would take it in stride. They know me and know to trust that I've got something entertaining for all in mind.

Quote:
Despite knowing better, I started a game with a TPK once not long ago. It was part of a time warp type of scenario where the PC's had to break out of a repeating loop. The PC's were intended to win the first battle, but be suddenly killed by an obviously superior foe, a souped-up death knight on nightmare who came sweeping in after a really tough battle with several goblins and orcs.

So, it was a win in spirit.

Then, the PC's were to snap back to the current time and know not to conduct a full-frontal assault, rather use some tactics.

The game was one of my few failures. Even though it was meant to be a win in spirit, at least half the players despised it altogether.

No matter how you dress it up and put a little bow on it, it's a horrible way to start a game.
Good cautionary tale.

Quote:
This isn't nearly a good enough idea to justify a TPK or even a difficult opening encounter where one or more of the PC's die, but "we knew those guys while they were alive" is cool.
I was looking at that cool factor, or maybe shock factor, when the player's new character comes face to face with a dead former character. But as you and others have noted, not a workable idea for a con.

Quote:
If you made some hanchmen, then have them be killed in the opening action scene and come back as undead baddies. That would be really cool!
I could probably work that in.

Maybe the new opening "James Bond" scene is the PCs and a group of hireling fleeing from the dungeon with some loot after a delve. Their loot may contain the information (map/journel) they need for the mission delve. The hirelings may get cut down just shy of the exit.

How does that seem for a opening "James Bond" action scene?

-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote