View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #23
Gavynn

Default Re: GURPS LOTR Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
What about Dwarves, Men, and Hobbits, though? Outside of Aragorn's healing hands, the dwarves in the Hobbit guarding the troll trove with protective spells, and some of the dwarf-crafted items in the Lonely Mountain supposedly being enchanted, what is actually attested to? Does the Witch-King of Angmar count, or can we assume that his power first stemmed from his ring?
For the dwarves I think a variation of the craftsman magic is well established among them. Hobbit magic? I think none, other than innate "natural" abilites like being able to move quietly, which is a racial ability, IMO. Not powered by "magic" the power source. It is not like they are going to be more noisy in a dead magic area. That is my take on it at least.

I would certainly say the Witch-king has power independent of his ring. He isn't wearing it when he brings down the gate of Minas Tirith after all. I'd say as a "great king of Men" he was dabbling in magical arts, which perhaps made him easier for Sauron to entrap. No doubt his powers are greater because of his association with Sauron though. I think he would be a great example of some one who has, in a manner of speaking, sold his soul to the devil in enchange for unworldy power.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote