View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #90
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
"Disabled" doesn't denote damage to units. It shows that the crew is incapacitated. As seen in GURPS Ogre and other sources, every combat unit includes an AI that can undertake routine tasks, and even do a little fighting if need be. A "disabled" GEV is still hovering.
If a unit takes a second D result...what happens to the unit? It gets Xed.

Is that second D result only affecting the crew again and this time it kills them, or is it damaging the vehicle only, or is it damaging the vehicle and the crew?

Quote from the rules:
"A disabled unit cannot fire or move; turn the counter over. If it receives another D result while disabled, it is destroyed."

...the unit is destroyed. It doesn't say the crew is killed and the vehicle is undamaged. It says the unit is destroyed. Which can only happen if the vehicle can also be damaged to the point of then being destroyed. Clearly there is some degree of vehicle damage occurring in a D result other than the crew gets knocked unconscious.
The video game has smoke coming off of D'ed units for example. That implies some degree of damage to the vehicle as well as the crew.

My suggestion was working within that framework to have a D'ed GEV lose it's ability to have its AI attack and also lose it's hovering ability while D'ed. The not hovering portion of the suggestion was really just semantics used to give a plausible explanation for it. Thus, one can ignore that explanation, but the suggestion to have a variant rule for GEVs that are D'ed not be able to use their AI to attack still stands.

If you want to use the variant rule, you can and it changes nothing from the original game because there are still GEVs that use the original rule, in this context the explanation is they would be early Last War GEVs...or even better, lesser skilled GEV Pilots. Then the official GEV Pilots, then the Aces that ignore all D results on them. ;)

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 10-14-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote