View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #132
tshiggins

Default Re: [ATE] Farming example

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
The short answer is probably not. In most cases it will be cheaper/easier to muster the goats to the next pasture. To get the goats onto a truck, loading facilities would be desired.

However large distances, lack of feed/water along the way, animal health issues, defence would all be reasonable reasons for using a vehical. In 3141 if ample fuel existed they might move the nannies by vehical after they give birth so that when they are lactating they are on premium pasture.
I think that in most AtE scenarios, the lack of infrastructure and the general reduction in wealth would require a lot more human labor to do things we use machinery and information for, now. By current standards, life in AtE would feature an appalling amount of sheer drudgery, day after day after day, for most people.

The practical utility of this thread is to help the GM add tremendous verisimilitude to his or her setting. However, I'd never want to play in a campaign devoted to realistic modeling of post-apocalyptic survival. It would be just about the opposite of anything anyone would consider "adventurous."

So, I'd think any truck would be carefully preserved for emergencies, and not used if the same thing could be done with extra time and effort, by people. So, you'd see a lot more goatherds, and shepherds, and goose-girls, and cowboys. I'd bet at least 80 percent of any given population lives by stoop-labor, and that number would rise to nearly 100 percent, in places with few resources.

Last edited by tshiggins; 06-29-2016 at 10:17 AM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote