View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
Skarg

Default Re: Some questions about Melee/Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13 View Post
One thing I've been wondering is how to represent a fighter that should be hard to hit. Since you only roll against your own score to hit, the opponent's dexterity isn't really taken into account. I would think that a very Nimble elf Swordsman could have an effect on the opponents chance to hit. The only way I see of doing this in game, is by allowing the elf to disengage when his turn comes before the slower fighter. He could keep jumping away, and the opposing fighter would never be able to hit the elf. I don't know what a better solution could be. All of the actual mechanics for making yourself harder to hit mean that you don't actually get to attack.
In ITL there are a few talents that give a very talented figure some small penalties for opponents to hit you - weapon and shield expertise and mastery, and the martial arts talents.

Some long-time experienced TFT players have developed various house rules for the situation. Typically they tend to involve sacrificing not your entire action, but some of your offensive adjDX, in exchange for reducing the adjDX of attacks against you. Tuning the numbers and details to taste is always a question though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13 View Post
Another thing I was thinking about is armor piercing. It looks like the only way to actually damage an armored foe is to Simply do more damage. I think it would be easy enough to create a weapon that has armor-piercing properties. The idea is that it wouldn't do a crazy amount of damage to an unarmored foe, and would be most effective at attacking someone with armor. Say it was a weapon that only did one die of damage, but had armor-piercing 2 on it. It could do at most 6 damage to an unarmored so, and 5 damage to an opponent wearing chainmail.
Yeah, this can be done, though it's usually more complexity than most TFT players want to get into.

If you really want both that sort of detail, and more detailed rules for defending yourself and other details, GURPS has that in spades, but may be more than you want to get into, especially at first.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote