View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: Conditional Injury with Knowing Your Own Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I've been fiddling with a version where you start at +0 damage and RT 4, and each +1 ST is worth +1/3 to each (round to nearest). Instead of rolling damage and converting to wound potential, you just use the damage as wound potential directly. Roll a d6 and give -1 on a 1-2, +1 on a 5-6. Swing is worth +1 damage.

That's the bulk of it, but there's more detail (including how armor works) in this thread.
That's a neat thread! It actually helped me think differently about this. (Though, I'm of the mind that I would keep the damage roll—while it's one more thing to do, my players and I love rolling dice!)

Fixing Logarithmic Wounding Potential

So, the above Logarithmic Wounding Potential Table is obviously a bit messed up. I had to start really thinking with logarithms. In standard Conditional Injury, every ×10 HP results in +6 RT (thanks to the Size and Speed/Range Table). So, it follows that, if ×10 is +10 in the scale used in Knowing Your Own Strength, then every +10 HP should be +6 RT. Either that, or it might have to be ×10^2 is +10 because standard HP is quadratic, which would make it every +20 HP is +6 RT.

If RTa is ×10 HP is +6 RT, RTb is +10 HP is +6 RT, and RTc is +20 HP is +6 RT, then...

Code:
HP  RTa  RTb  RTc
1   -2   -2   -2
11   4    4    1
21   6   10    4
31   7   16    7
41   8   22   10
51   8   28   13
Though, theoretically, if ST are HP, RT should be even across Basic Lift, right?

Code:
BL       RTa  RTb  RTc
2.5       1   -2   -2
25        4    4    1
250       7   10    4
2500      10  16    7
25000     13  22   10
250000    16  28   13
And this is where the magic happens. Because, now, there's an obvious pattern between RTa and RTc. RTc is just RTa-3, which might mean that my initial set-point was wrong—I just put ST/HP 1 to RT -2 because that's what Conditional Injury does.

It makes calculating RT from logarithmic ST much easier:
RT = (ST × 0.3) + 0.7
Yes, the parentheses don't need to be there, but it looks more organized to me.

Leftover Weird Bits

So, to have RT -2, you'd need to have HP -9. Yeah, negative 9. That's... very different from the original working of this system, and I don't know how something like this will affect small things hurting each other.

I'm not sure what to do with weapons/damage or if I should just leave it. RyanW's thread has some interesting ideas. Really, there should be a way to overhaul weapons to better fit this scheme. If there's a correlation between weapon damage and a force multiplier that says, for example, +1 damage represents ×1.n power, I'm not familiar with it. If it exists, it would just be a matter of converting that multiplier in addition.

As mentioned elsewhere, you could forgo even having swing damage and just make swung attacks have a +1 severity modifier.

There was another weird bit that I thought of, but I can't recall it now...
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote