View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #27
tshiggins

Default Re: Mix Master Myth Parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
I consider Hamlet to be one of the most believable, relatable, sane and rational protagonists I can recall reading...
In an orthodox presentation of the play, I agree wholly. However, I have seen a version of the play (I've watched seven different versions of Hamlet, at last count), in which the dialogue of the ghost is spoken by Hamlet, himself, as a form of delusional psychological break.

While that particular interpretation isn't my favorite (Branagh's is close to perfection; Kevin Kline's would have achieved perfection if the supporting cast had been better; Mel Gibson's was good enough to be a pleasant surprise; Sir Lawrence Olivier's is kind of tedious, and his Ophelia grates on modern sensibilities; Richard Burton's is mostly forgettable; and Derek Jacoby is sublime but, once again, the support cast doesn't carry its weight), it does make for a fascinating Act I and beginning of Act 2.

However, Hamlet's keen insight into the reason for the necessity absolute proof of Claudius' treachery, and his ability to hatch the plan needed to secure that proof, requires a keen, self-disciplined mind -- of the sort a delusional schizphrenic simply lacks.

I certainly wish I could remember the name of the actor in that particular version, but I've only seen it once and (as noted) it wasn't my favorite, even though it was rather memorable and nicely acted.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote