View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #22
fchase8

Default Re: Mix Master Myth Parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
My favorite idea of a "Mix Myth" is essentially a Spelljammer Argonauts game, which takes the ideas of "Jason and the Argonauts" and puts them in aether-ships. I really should flesh this out a bit more for players to mess with.

In my opinion, the moment the players sit down at the table with their characters statted out and approved by the GM is the moment the game officially breaks from the myth, because at that point you're in the myth rather than just reading it. The GM is still free to use the myth for inspiration, of course.

To use my Argonauts example, their first port of call in the myth was an island where the women had killed and/or exiled their men, and the Argonauts spent the next month there in the women's beds before Herakles went around banging on the doors to get them moving again. From a gaming standpoint.... BORING! Now, if there was something else going on in the background, and the crew that had decided to enjoy such festivities were in danger, then "boring" becomes something else entirely....
There is the question of whether the characters are playing versions of mythical characters, like your Argonauts example, or are outsiders coming into a myth (such as visiting Burton).

Coming into a myth can get kind of 'Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead', seeing a myth from a different viewpoint.

The folks behind SCTV did a comedy movie, Strange Brew, that had a version of Hamlet in it.
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote