View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #20
Icelander

Default Re: Custody of federal prisoners convicted at court martial or unfit for trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
What happens is a huge mud-wrestling match, only it won't be CID in charge on the military side -- this is Military Intelligence territory.
Are you sure that Military Intelligence is actually allowed to effectively participate in a criminal investigation where some of the suspects are US citizens?

It seems to me that it would be a violation of Executive Order 12333, in that it would inevitably lead to MI collecting and maintaining intelligence on US persons, in this case Inmate Taylor and several of his associates.

This seems to me to require a federal agency allowed to collect criminal intelligence. That would include numerous agencies that fall under the DHS, as well as the USACIDC. It also includes agencies falling under the Department of Justice which might seem a more natural fit, but for whatever reason, Onyx Rain appears to be keeping the FBI at arms length as much as possible.

Of course, a US Army Counterintelligence Officer (35E) or Counterintelligence Special Agent (35L) is probably the most natural fit.

That does bring up a rather interesting question, as the backstory for the campaign indicates that one 18E of the 7th SFG(A) ODA that partipated in Project Jade Serenity became a SFC in a 35L MOS before 2006. He's either a civilian, a senior NCO or a warrant officer by now. On the other hand, it has not been established whether he was assigned to the Special Forces detachment in Mexico that went AWOL or, even if he wasn't, whether he would be trusted considering his connection to Col. Ortiz and multiple other former Jade Serenity test subjects.

Obviously, the whole Onyx Rain task force is on legally shaky ground, potentially violating Posse Comitatus, a whole bunch of Constitutional rights, the territoral integrity of an allied nation and presidential proscriptions on targeted assassinations, but at least as far as outsiders to it are concerned, I want to maintain the appearance of legality.