View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 07:34 AM   #10
naloth

Default Re: Power/Strength Tiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
I haven't bought that article, I've mostly read about it on the forum and saw people called it a bit... incomplete? I gather the vanilla version doesn't increase strength terribly much though.
KYOS uses a log progression for lifting and extends thrust damage with the same a linear progression (+7 ST = +2d) you find at lower levels.

Having played with it, KYOS fits rather well with existing abilities and damage. IMO, what doesn't fit well is equipment. Since each point of ST means more per level (+6 HP should effectively be x10 HP), you either need to rescale equipment in the same matter (my suggestion) or use gear built with points.

It also suggests repricing Striking ST and Lifting ST, but I've found the values suggested a bit off. I've been using Striking ST 2/lvl and Lifting ST 6/lvl instead. Combined with HP 2/lvl you get ST worth about 10 points/lvl like it is now.

KYOS does a good job of making high lift affordable and bringing ST damage costs in line with damage done by point purchased abilities. I keep a pregenerated chart of old ST/HP/Dmg to convert to a new (log) value, and it hasn't impacted play much. Adding log values is also a bit of a change, but players have picked up those conventions fairly quickly.

Naturally if you instead want to boost damage, keep a linear progression, and use equipment as written instead of fiddling with those stats, KYOS probably won't suit your interests.

Quote:
85 points (Striking-ST 27) for a 26d6 of damage sounds a bit cheap. But then again I have no idea why getting 26d6 of striking damage in vanilla rules costs 1100 points(!) (Striking-ST 220) while a spammable ranged innate attack crushing of 26d6 costs a mere 130.
This isn't correct. By default KYOS reprices striking ST to 1/lvl so 85 points would give you Striking ST 95 (Thr 24d+2? I usually don't have or need anything that high in my games. Superman tops out at ST 60-80 depending on the version.).

I impose caps on player created characters, but usually it's not that restrictive.

Last edited by naloth; 12-13-2020 at 07:44 AM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote