View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 06:34 AM   #9
RedMattis

Default Re: Power/Strength Tiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
My estimate was to call D-scale 500 points, C-scale 1,000 points, etc, which means a scale of x2 is 150, a scale of x5 is 350.
I am not quite sure what the D-scale, C-scale etc. really means? Are the Letter-scales supposed to be like tiers where a D-scale attack is useless against C-scale DR f.ex.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad!
[...] "Pyramid 3/83: Knowing Your Own Strength" [...]
I haven't bought that article, I've mostly read about it on the forum and saw people called it a bit... incomplete? I gather the vanilla version doesn't increase strength terribly much though.

85 points (Striking-ST 27) for a 26d6 of damage sounds a bit cheap. But then again I have no idea why getting 26d6 of striking damage in vanilla rules costs 1100 points(!) (Striking-ST 220) while a spammable ranged innate attack crushing of 26d6 costs a mere 130.

Is strength just really questionably priced compared to innate attacks? (especially when not factoring weapons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered
Your pricing isn't bad. I can see arguments for making it more or less.

I completely agree with the approach of making it a simple multiplier. The main thing I'd probably do in my games would be to cap it at some point, and perhaps even to make it less granular: a couple of common levels can have more flavor than a full gradient. Though you can impose that structure over that existing trait.
Indeed, a cap would likely be needed on a per-campaign level.

As for power level, yeah, it depends on the setting. Putting 240 points (multiplier ´x5´) in the Immense Power-advantage in a modern setting with a military theme seems pretty 'meh', especially if you don't buy a ton of DR as well. 5d+1 punches compare rather poorly to introducing someone to a carbine. Still way better than Vanilla GURPS if you are staking ST though.

Tbh. comparing ST to modern weapons and innate attacks I feel like "Say, it isn't that bad!" might be onto something with their ST-scaling. I feel that method seems like it scales up a bit too rapidly towards the end there though. 85 points is a bit cheap for the ability to punch though tank-armor.

Some re-balance of the damage part of Strength (Striking-ST) might be good to combine with this? Based on Innate attack you'd kind of figure 5 points of Striking-ST would give 1d6 of damage, but perhaps there is a good reason it isn't set up like that?