View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #24
TheOneRonin

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This might be a reason to go with a simpler Disarm option rather than complex (and probably cp expensive) Arm Lock combos. If the Disarm works it's not a knife fight any more.
To be fair, the problem with the Arm/Joint Lock approach in GURPS is time, not really CP cost. A Judo 18 guy can Arm Lock at 18 without having to improve it.

Basic/MA Disarming is an attack at -2 (which can be parried/dodged) following by a QC. If you win, the knife goes flying. If the bad guy wins by 1 or 2, he keeps the knife but it is unready. Otherwise, he keeps the knife and can stab you on his turn.

This is a pretty safe bet for the Judo-18 guy vs the Knife-12, but you'll have to take some further steps after that to keep him from picking the knife back up.

In reference to the quote, yeah, IRL controlling the limb and disarming the knife is critical to avoid the trip to the morgue. All this is assuming that running or giving the guy your wallet isn't an option for some reason. I've been training in FMA since 1990 (PTK with a little JKD mixed in, and Modern Arnis for the last 7 years) and I would do everything in my power to avoid a knife fight. It's REALLY scary once you learn how easy it is to get cut and how hard it is to control/disarm someone who is really intent on poking holes in you.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote