View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Starting campaigns for newbie GMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
It doesn't take research to know that you can darken a room by flipping the light-switch, or darken a house by flipping its master switch. It is that sort of richness of everyday detail that gives PCs in a realistic setting a breadth of possible courses of action that is very hard to match in an imaginary setting. And there is absolute boatloads of it in people's everyday knowledge.
It does take research to find out where Conventry is. Or how telegraphy worked. Or what 19th century spriritualists claimed they were doing. Or the disposition of troop at Austerlitz or whatever. And then there' convincing players to play in a historical setting. Modern (supernatural or supers) games would benefit even better from people's everday knowledge, and likely be more popular.

EDIT: I still find invented worlds to be easier than real life even in modern games. In an imaginary city I can have a Chinese Place on the corner of Hope and Maple. In a game set in Los Angeles, I need a really good map and probably some legwork. For this reason most games that I run set in the modern world still use imaginary locations.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-14-2006 at 08:46 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote