View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #37
David Johnston2

Default Re: Different critical spell failure tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The same argument would indicate that 1-in-216 airliners suffer catastrophic failures, 1-in-216 nuclear reactors meltdown each month, 1-in-216 space shuttle launches ended in tragedy, 1-in-72 punches in MMA or Boxing strikes result in the catastrophic effects of a roll on the Critical Hit or Miss charts. Critical failure rules are clearly for dramatic results of adventuring uses of skills, not routine Monthly job rolls
While I could certainly decide to make magic spell casting a routine and relatively unhazardous profession, I am under no obligation to do it any more than I'm under an obligation to make barnstorming or professional wrestling as safe as being an accountant. Some jobs are just bloody dangerous. And if I want to make magic a chancy thing that people don't use casually at least without the right perks, then I think I'm consistent with both the rules and typical nonmagitech fantasy universe assumptions. Note that magic has totally different rules for taking extra time than the mundane skills you reference do.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote