View Single Post
Old 01-13-2023, 08:59 PM   #46
TippetsTX

Default Re: 3 Character Types: Fighter, Wizard, Mixed (Bard, Cleric, Monk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
I don't see what these undesirable effects would be. "Gatekeep" is not a dirty word. Most if not all TFT talents are gatekeepers in several ways. Any prerequisite talent is the gatekeeper for the next talent in the sequence. Other things that aren't talents themselves require a talent first. The sword talent is a gatekeeper for using many different swords. Bard is a gatekeeper for learning a variety of songs. What could be more consistent with how we do everything else in TFT than to first require a spellcasting talent, of fixed memory cost like all the other talents, in order to use many different spells?
Except songs don't cost additional XP to learn. Nor do each type of sword, dagger or knife covered by the SWORD talent.

I didn't mean 'gatekeep' to be negative (and I apologize if it came across that way). It was simply the most descriptive term I could think of to illustrate the function of these talents. In my mind, a 'prerequisite' is a rung on a ladder while a 'gate' grants entry to a new environment. A WIZARDRY talent literally opens the door to a wholly different ability framework which makes it unique among all other talents in the game.TBH, though, of all the approaches proposed to eliminate the hero/wizard distinction, yours is probably my favorite. The problem (which I understand that not everyone shares my opinion about) is that I don't actually want to remove that aspect of the game. I see it as a desirable feature.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 01-13-2023 at 09:37 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote