View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 06:15 AM   #40
Shostak

Default Re: 3 Character Types: Fighter, Wizard, Mixed (Bard, Cleric, Monk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I prefer a clear separation between mundane and magical abilities, but I suppose I don't see that difference the same way most others do. The separation between Wizard and Hero aren't class-based distinctions for me, they're more fundamental. My stance has always been that "wizards are born, not made". It's a genetic predisposition which the player chooses at creation; a decision that determines how the character will perceive and interact w/ the game world.
A Wizarding talent does not, by itself, contradict the desire to have wizards “born, not made.” while one could say that it is a talent like any other, and one could easily declare that it represents learning allowed by some kind of genetic disposition. Furthermore, it is up to the GM as to whether or not to allow anyone to take this talent after character generation.

The point of the talent is not to create baked-in assumptions about the difference between wizards and mundanes, but to add a bit of balance to create better (or at least desired by some people) balance for those with the ability to cast spells.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote