View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 08:41 PM   #38
TippetsTX

Default Re: 3 Character Types: Fighter, Wizard, Mixed (Bard, Cleric, Monk)

I understand why some folks want to turn 'wizarding' into a talent-based ability or create a set of mage-friendly talents, but each of those solutions have undesirable effects IMO. The first creates a talent (or talents) that don't function like any other talent in the game; talents that gatekeep an entirely different framework of abilities (spells)... as well as the 'magic number' effects that David points out. The latter, while probably less distruptive system-wise, creates a new sub-set of talents that require spellcasting as a prerequisite. I think we need a third option for those kinds of powers.

I prefer a clear separation between mundane and magical abilities, but I suppose I don't see that difference the same way most others do. The separation between Wizard and Hero aren't class-based distinctions for me, they're more fundamental. My stance has always been that "wizards are born, not made". It's a genetic predisposition which the player chooses at creation; a decision that determines how the character will perceive and interact w/ the game world.

That said, I do think moderating the cross-platform costs post character-creation is desirable.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 01-09-2023 at 09:04 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote