View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #11
Teclis

Default Re: Local Stores Don't Carry GURPS any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Gaming cruises are a thing. Seriously considering it when my little guy is a bit older.
Hi,

All the ones I have looked into are mostly video games with a bit of D&D 5e.

Do you know of any that actually run GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
The way I see it, it's the crazy amount of new board games being released all the time that have eaten at the rest. RPGs are effectively fighting for shelf space against board games (for all ages, some for adults only).
The owner of the local gaming store tells me that since Wil Wheaton stopped doing his board game show, the sale of board games has really slowed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember Kromm saying something along the lines of:

90% of the RPG market is D&D.
Of what's left, 90% is other dungeon bashing games (Pathfinder etc.).
The remaining 1% is everything else. World of Darkness, Call of Cthulhu… and GURPS.
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy could take a substantial share of the market away from D&D 5e and Pathfinder but it would take work. The MIB would have set up something equivalent to Adventures League or the Pathfinder society as these organisations build communities in the local gaming stores that play weekly. The people don't just play because they like the game, they play in order to be part of an established community that plays regularly. The local gaming stores, while they carry Munchkin, don't even carry GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.

The last time I ran GURPS 3e at open RPG day at the local gaming store all I had to do was show the 11-15 year old male D&D 5e players the modern day weapons list in the back of the GURPS Basic Set 3e and they were all playing at my Autoduel table. Understandably the store owner isn't to keen on this as it doesn't make the store any money, but if the store carried Dungeon Fantasy and there was a good GM there to run it once a week like Adventures League I'm sure it would be a different story. And if there was an establish Dungeon Fantasy community it would be much easier for me to find players for my realistic, by the book 3e campaign.

Last edited by Teclis; 11-11-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Teclis is offline   Reply With Quote