View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #39
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Another thing I had overlooked:
  • Unhealed injury or pain always penalizes the Will roll to persist, and the GM might wish to uncap the IQ penalty for this roll.
s

"Uncap" meaning I think if you had done 5 HP to my leg instead of 4, there would be a -5 from Shock instead of the usual -4 maximum.

The 15<16 adjustment took into account the -4 to IQ from the Shock of the 4 lost HP from your punching me in the shin...

"Unhealed injury" sounds like I should still be -4 on all future "Persistance is Futile" rolls. If that is cumulative with the -4 to shock (total -8) then I would've failed at 15>12...

If that doesn't happen in the initial hit (perhaps due to "no double-dipping" rules?) then the 12<20 success on my 2nd roll would be reduced to 12<16, which would mean the +5 was again the reason it succeeded... meaning I guess that means a 2nd chance for SUAGbiologal occurance.

I had also overlooked:
  • Don’t bother rolling if your adjusted Will is 17 or higher unless the consequences of failure are dramatically significant and the GM is fishing for the rare critical failure

On that basis, I shouldn't have made the 2nd roll if it was against 20, but maintaining the -4 due to "unhealed injury .. always penalizes the Will roll to persist" keeping me at 16 means the 2nd roll was needed.

Do you want to use this "don't bother rolling" above 17 guideline, or do you think the GM should always fish for the rare 3d6=18 to pause someone? I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea since in a life or death fight the consequence of failure could be dramatically significant. It's not something you'd bother with if you were just sparring against a punching bag though, because being forced to accrue some PIF points and spend second or two of Do Nothing doesn't have any kind of notable effect unless it was something like you were trying to impress some fan by how many times you could hit the bag without pause.

Barring some kind of "no double dipping" exception, I think I should have counted both the 4 lost HP and the -4 to IQ from Shock (though someone with High Pain Threshold would only have to worry about the former not the latter) so I should have had a margin of failure of 3. Based on my prior proposal this means I accrued 3 "PIF damage" and my untriggered AOD functioned as a recovery maneuver to heal 2 of the damage.

Based on that, I shouldn't have been able to follow up with a DWA. Rather than replay all of that, I think I'll house-rule that you can expend up to 1 AP per second to "heal" PIF damage. After all, if you just burned FP to get AP back, it's weird for futility to overwhelm you when you've got AP in the bank. Particularly in the case of HT1 / AP1 creatures because they get all the way back up to 100% AP by burning FP, meaning they fulfill the "full AP" condition automatically.

Actually maybe there shouldn't be a "or until at full FP" opt-out of Persistance is Futile, instead if you recover AP past the max, the excess should just be automatically expended to heal PIF damage and snap you out faster.

So to negate the remainder, I spent 1 AP to heal the 1 PIFdmg that my recovery didn't remove, I should adjust my AP from 5/12 to 4/12?

A penalty equal to lost HP is strangely punishing for high HP creatures (some creature with 980/1000 HP would be -20 to PERSIST any time they lost FP...) so I think maybe as a house rule it could scale down for those with HP20+.

Or I could be reading this all wrong, what if the intended penalty is just something like taking the DX penalties for Partial Injuries (MA136) and using them as Will penalties? If that's the case, I wouldn't have to deal with any yet since adrenaline is still kicked in. I had 24 seconds from when you punched me, 23 when you threw the missed kick, 21 after your consecutive Evaluates... so I'd have 20 seconds remaining of Adrenaline after you choose your next maneuver.

Even when it does kick in, it's a penalty which normally only applies when kicking... only Torso injuries have a penalty to DX "for all purposes". So would I only suffer the penalty when trying to throw a kick?

Instead of Partial Injuries I'm thinking just "remember how much shock you took (or would have taken, if you didn't due to High Pain Threshold) from lost HP and apply that as a penalty to Persistance Rolls until HP is healed". So if I had 20 HP, 4 damage would have only caused 2 shock, so I would be -4 in first second, -2 thereafter until healed, or always -2 if I had HPT.

I do like the idea of HPT/LPT halving or multiplying the PIF "unhealed injury" penalties by 1.5 like they do with Partial Injuries though.

Last edited by Plane; 11-30-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote