View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
whswhs

Default Re: 'Godlike' using GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
She recently introduced me to Godlike (gritty WWII with superpowers) and I like the concept so have been considering trying to run something for her. The system looks workable but I've been wondering about running it in GURPS using the Godlike setting and the basic GURPS rules, High Tech, Powers, and an old hardcover of GURPS WWII I recently picked up (for $10!)
I actually think that might work better. I ran a campaign using the Godlike rules (set not during WWII but during the First Crusade, with the PCs being some of the Hundred Righteous Ghazi who gained their powers from the hundred names of God); I had some problems with the system.

* The dice rolling mechanic has a very sharp peak: if you have two or three dice in something you're pretty well hopeless, if you have four you succeed half the time, if you have five or more you succeed nearly all the time with only minimal improvements. This was particularly a problem in my campaign in that the adversaries, the metal-clad Europeans, were normal human beings who typically had four or fewer dice in all but a handful of top skills; if you're running supers versus supers it may be less acute. But I prefer the odds in GURPS, where between 8 and 13 your chances of success go up in more modest increments.

* If you had 10 dice in Command, you could pretty well convert any foe to your side by getting them to hold still while you talked with them. That's a version of the classic problem with mentalists in all campaigns, but it was particularly acute in mine.

* The theory is that superpowers are exemptions from the laws of nature and pay no attention to physics. Except that if you're invisible, you can't see, and if you're dematerialized and inside a stone wall, you can't breathe. Those are odd places to impose the laws of physics, contrary to the stated agenda of the game, and not places where normal supers comics impose them either.

I thought the concept was kind of cool, but I think it could have used better mechanics. GURPS might be workable; I haven't really thought about using the GURPS Powers/Supers rules for that specific flavor of campaign.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote