View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Extra Attack = Extra Defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afschell View Post
I definitely am not suggesting that the "Extra Attack" advantage allows (for example) a Block and Parry defense rolls. Just a second try at parrying if the first one doesn't succeed (with the Exploits, p48, number of parries penalties applied).
Being able to Parry & Parry again against the same attack is the functional equivalent of being able to Parry & Block the same attack. In fact, it can be significantly better, because it can utilize just one skill which makes it easier to buy the defense score higher. In the RAW there is very little functional difference between a Parry and a Block, except that you Parry with a weapon and Block with a shield or buckler. It's really just a difference in nomenclature for what are functionally equivalent acts - you use an object in your hand to deflect an incoming attack.

The thing is, a character that can double defend against the same attack will almost never fail a defense roll if they can get their defense roll up to 12+ (not too hard, especially in Dungeon Fantasy where skill-20 is not out of the question). And then you throw in Luck to cover the odd double-failure and they will basically never fail a defense roll. I just don't like the implications of a character being that untouchable in combat.

*IF* I were to allow Double Defense as an advantage at all I would only allow it to be used once per turn. That way two opponents - or one opponent utilizing Extra Attacks/Rapid Strikes/Dual Weapon Attacks - at least has a chance of overwhelming your defenses. I would also charge at least as much as Extra Attack. It's a significantly valuable advantage that can make it almost impossible for an opponent to land a blow.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 06-14-2018 at 12:06 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote